Here is a collection of our favorite soups to make, from hearty pot pie soup, to classic beef stew, and even chicken enchilada soup, it seems like we have one of these recipes once a week!
#1 Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Truly this butternut squash soup is one of the quintessential meals of fall, with all of the veggies and herbs to boot. With just a little of prep work, you can throw this meal in the oven and let it do the work for you!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 large onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 6 sage leaves
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne red pepper powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stoc
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the butternut squash by peeling, pitting, and chopping into 1 inch squares. Add to large roasting pan.
- Chop celery, carrots, and onions into large pieces, and add to pan.
- Add peeled garlic cloves whole into roasting pan.
- Sprinkle on herbs, red pepper powder, salt, and pepper, coat with olive oil, and toss to mix.
- Roast the veggies for an hour.
- Add 1/2 of the roasted veggie mix to a food processor with ½ cup of vegetable stock, and puree. Repeat for the second half of veggie mix.
- Pour mixture into a large saucepan, and add in the remainder of the vegetable stock. Simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring well. Serve hot!
#2 Pot Pie Soup
Who doesn’t love that rich and creamy mix of tender chicken and veggies? This soup hits the spot when we’re craving a hearty meal, and it certainly warms us from the inside out!
- 1 pound potatoes (yukon gold or red), diced
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, diced (button, crimini, etc.)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot melt butter over medium-high heat, and stir in onions, carrots and celery.
- Saute until veggies start to soften, about 5 minutes, then add garlic and mushrooms and saute an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour, and stir until evenly combined with veggies, then slowly add in chicken stock and milk, then chicken, potatoes, corn, peas, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, salt and pepper; stir well to combine.
- Once soup begins to simmer (not boil!) reduce heat to medium low, cover and continue to simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the soup from sticking to the bottom of pot.
- Once potatoes are tender, remove from heat, serve immediately, and enjoy!