Bake this light, fluffy classic caramel cake to share with the family. Decked with icing flowers, it’s almost too pretty to eat! This caramel cake starts with a basic chiffon cake. The secret to making a light, airy chiffon is to whip the egg whites really well and mix them gently into the batter.
Use a wire whisk (not a spatula) to fold the whites into the batter so that the meringue doesn’t deflate too much. Also, be mindful of the baking time; as soon as the cake springs back when touched, it’s done. Cool the chiffon cake completely before icing it.
Prep Time: 1 hr
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Ready In: 1 hr 30 mins
Yield: 1 (9-inch) cake
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 4 large eggs, separeted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cp boiling water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 227-gram bar unsalted butter, cubed and at roomt emperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring, pink and green
- COOKING PROCEDUREMake the chiffon cake: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease the bottom of a 9-inch round baking pan then line with parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk oil, yolks, 1/3 cup water, and vanilla in another bowl. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until smooth.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar on medium-high speed. Whip until stiff and glossy.
- Gradually fold whipped egg whites into batter. Blend well.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until top springs back when touched. (Do not prick cake.) Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the caramel icing: Allow sugar to cook in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling pan, until golden.
- Add boiling water carefully. Simmer until sugar is melted. Add evaporated milk. Cook, whisking, until mixture boils.
- Combine fresh milk, yolks, and cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk in some of the hot caramel to temper yolks. Pour yolk mixture back into caramel. Whisk on low heat until thick.
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. Stir until butter is melted and mixture has some sheen. Strain icing if you see lumps.
- Place cake on a rack set on top of a tray. Gradually pour caramel icing onto the center of the cake. Let icing drip down the sides. Gently shake rack to distribute icing. Use an offset spatula to even it out. Allow to set for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before decorating.
- Make the buttercream: Whisk egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl set on a pot of simmering water until sugar melts and mixture is warm.