A few nights ago I watched the movie, “Eat, Pray, Love” where the main character goes to Italy and eats all kinds of delicious looking pastas. My current diet doesn’t allow this. So, I’ve altered the recipe a bit to fit my dietary needs. For gluten free pasta, look for rice or quinoa pasta at your local health food store. The sauce below is tomato free, dairy free, and sugar free.
- 2 cloves of well chopped garlic.
- 1 red or sweet onion. Use organic!
- 1/3 cup of olive oil – I recommend extra virgin
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs of lime or lemon juice, fresh squeezed if you can
- 1 tbs of a quality balsamic vinegar
- One eight ounce can of beets or even better, beets out of the garden that you boil or roast
- One can of pumpkin (14–15 ounces) – make sure that it’s pure pumpkin without any other additives
- 3/4 cups of vegetable broth. You can use chicken broth if you prefer.
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of fresh (if you have it) or dried basil
- 1.5 tsp of arrowroot or cornstarch — I have left this out and the recipe is still great
Take your trusty wok or big pan and sautee the garlic and onion on medium high heat.
Add the lime (or lemon) and balsamic vinegar then let everything simmer on low for about five minutes.
Toss your beets in a blender and blend them until they’re nice and smooth.
Toss your canned pumpkin, the salt, beet puree, and basil into your wok and stir everything on up.
Mix in your vegetable broth slowly looking for the consistency you want in the sauce. You may use less than the 3/4. Continue to simmer for another five minutes.
Mix in the arrow root (or cornstarch) if you want to use it.
Enjoy your super tasty gluten free, dairy free, tomato free, sugar free pasta sauce. It’s super delicious, in my opinion.