My plan was to make chicken like the buffalo barbacoa that my family loves. With just a couple of tweaks, this chicken turned out perfect. Just ask my family. My kids said this shredded chicken recipe was the best chicken EVER!! We all loved it, so I believe them. I served it on a bed of refried beans and topped it with chopped tomato and avocado. Leftovers…well, I’m sure they taste great the next day, but we didn’t have any.
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 2–1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven, or large oven–proof pot, over medium/high heat.
- Add the chicken thighs and sprinkle all of the spices over the chicken. Cook for 2 minutes, turn and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the water. Put an oven–proof lid on the pot and put it in the oven for 3 hours.
- Take the lid off after the three hours, increase the heat to 350 degrees, and cook for another 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone. It shreds SO easily with a fork.