Savory and sweet flavours are combined in this wonderful dish! The fried fish fillets get an extra layer of texture and from chunky corn sauce.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 750 grams fish fillet, sliced into chunks
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to season
- pinch of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to season
- 3 eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil for deep–frying
For the corn sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (420–gram) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame oil, salt, and pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- First of all you need to season fish with 2 tablespoons cornstarch, salt, sugar, and pepper in a bowl; set aside. After that place remaining 1 cup cornstarch in a shallow bowl and beaten eggs in another bowl. Heat oil for deep–frying in a deep pan or deep–fryer.
- The next step is to dip fish in eggs then dredge in cornstarch. Deep–fry fish until golden and crispy; drain on a wire rack. Fry a second time; drain again on a wire rack.
- Now it’s time to make the corn sauce: Heat vegetable oil in a pan over high heat. Stir–fry ginger and shallot until fragrant. Add rice wine, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock or water, light soy sauce, sugar, and corn. This mixture must be brought to a boil and stir in dissolved cornstarch; cook until thick. Add egg and season with sesame oil, salt, and pepper.
- Finally serve fish topped with corn sauce. Garnish with green onions.