The dish is really worth its name! All the ingredients contribute to its delicious taste…
- 2 jars of your favorite tomato sauce
- 12 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups parmesan, grated
- 3 cups bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup olive oil (1/4 c per round of cooking….I made 4 breasts at a time)
- 6 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, coarsely sliced
- 12 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare chicken by laying it between two layers of parchment paper (or saran wrap). Using a meat mallet, wine bottle or rolling pin (my fav), pound out the chicken pieces until they are 1/4 and 1/2″ thick pieces. Don’t underestimate the necessity of pounding them out, this will ensure tenderness. (Some of them may be tooooo thick and you might have to go after it with a knife). Make sure all pieces are even. Nothing worse than some being overcooked and some being undercooked. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Using a bowl large enough to comfortably dredge a piece of the chicken, mix the bread crumbs and 1/2 the parmesan cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.