A bite sized dessert pretty enough for any special occasion. From Easter to Mother’s Day, birthdays to bridal showers, sure to impress.
My obsession with bite sized desserts continues!
What could be better than a delicious and beautiful Mini Lemon Tart? A Flower Shaped Mini Lemon Tart, of course!
These individual portions of smooth lemony filling in a tender flaky crust are finished with a delicate dust of powdered sugar.
Flower Shaped Mini Lemon Tarts are so incredibly delicious and gourmet tasting yet actually pretty simple to make.
The best part is there’s no messy cutting with filling oozing out because each tart is perfectly portioned for a single serving treat.
- Homemade All Butter Pie Crust or 2 pre-made, ready to roll pie crusts
- 4 egg yolks + 1 egg for egg wash
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour (or use nonstick cooking spray) a mini-muffin pan. Set aside.
- Unroll pie crusts on a silicon mat and cut out as many flowers as possible. My flower shaped cookie cutter is 4-inches in diameter petal tip to petal tip. Once your first set of flowers are cut, you can ball up the dough and roll it out again.
- You should be able to get 24 flower shaped dough pieces.
- Put the dough pieces in mini muffin tins, leaving an empty space between crusts. Press them into the bottom and on the sides. Prick the bottoms with a fork.
- Brush egg wash from one egg to the top edges of each crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Remove from oven and let the crust cool while you make the filling. Once cooled, use the tip of a knife to loosen the crusts from the mini muffin cups,
- Whisk egg yolks in medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, water, sugar and salt. Stir constantly over medium low heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and reduce the heat to low.
- Pour half of this mixture into the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Pour the “hot” egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking constantly.
- Return to the stove and cook for an additional 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and lemon zest. Finally whisk in your butter one tbsp at a time.
- Spoon mixture into each baked and cooled mini tart crust almost up to the top.
- When ready to serve, dust the powdered sugar over the tops. The lemon filling in the center is moist – so after a few minutes, the powdered sugar dissolves into the lemon filling and you will see it, only on petals.