This is a very interesting and unusual salad and actually its name says it for itself. Hope, you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.
- 1 cup uncooked acini de pepe pasta
- 1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple
- 1 20 oz. can chunk pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 15 oz. can mandarin oranges
- 3 medium bananas
- Cook pasta in medium saucepan for 7–8 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and place in a large bowl. Drain both cans of pineapple and reserve juice for sauce. Place pineapple in bowl with pasta.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Add pineapple juice and whisk until sugar/cornstarch is dissolved. Cook over medium heat until thick and clear. Pour half the mixture in with the egg yolk and then pour back into saucepan. Cook for 1 minute and then remove from heat. Add lemon juice. Whisk well and pour into bowl with pasta. Allow pasta and sauce to chill overnight (sauce will thicken, so do not worry about adding more cornstarch!).
- Drain oranges VERY well. Dice apricots. Combine with pineapple and add to pasta/sauce mixture. Chill until ready to serve. Right before serving, slice bananas into salad (if you do it right before, you’ll keep the bananas from going brown).
Tip: You can also add cut up strawberries, blueberries, practically any combination you would like.