You can make this dessert days in advance and it will keep well as long as it’s stored in the freezer. You can also add some shaved chocolate on top and serve this with some whipped cream on the side. It adds texture and drama to this dessert. You can also serve Ice Cream Cake with a shot of espresso.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 1/2 cups pistachio ice cream, divided
- 3 to 4 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream, divided
- 3 to 4 1/2 cups mocha ice cream, divided
- shaved chocolate for garnish
- whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease, flour, and line an 8 x 12 x 2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine cocoa powder with water until it becomes a smooth paste. Gradually stir in the milk, oil, egg, then the vanilla. Beat by hand using a wire whisk or beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely. Cut the chocolate cake into 9 x 5-inch pieces.
- Assemble the ice cream cake: Line a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. Scoop 1 to 1 1/2 cups softened pistachio ice cream into the pan. Spread and level using a spoon or an offset spatula. Place in the freezer and allow to set for at least 1 hour. Scoop 1 to 1 1/2 cups softened vanilla ice cream over the pistachio ice cream. Spread and level using a spoon or an offset spatula. Place in the freezer again and allow to set for at least 1 hour. Repeat the procedure with 1 to 1 1/2 cups mocha ice cream. Place 1 piece cut chocolate cake over the mocha ice cream. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients to make 3 ice cream cakes. Leave to set overnight or at least 4 hours in the freezer before serving. Unmold cake onto a plate, chocolate cake side down. Garnish with shaved chocolate.