Loobia Polo in its traditional format, is a combination of rice, simmering with alternate layers of a mixture of green beans, lamb (cut into small pieces), fried onions and seasonings. But in this recipe I added some carrot and green peas since I am a fan of vegetables !!!
Like what my great aunt used to say about a good Iranian Polo or Chelo “You should be able to count cooked grains down”.
- Long grain rice 4 cups
- lamb or beef, cut into small pieces, 1lb or 450 grams
- Green peas (cut into 1-2 cm pieces ), 1lb or 450 grams
- Medium onions (sliced), 2 or 3
- Tomato paste 2tbs, (or crushed tomatoes 4tbs)
- Vegetable oil 1/3 cup
- Turmeric, 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon, 2tsp
- saffron, 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Butter or ghee, 1/4 cup
- Salt and Pepper as desired