This unuasual appetiser will definitely have a striking effect on any gourmet. The taste is more than delicious!
1-Do not sub instant grits here.
2-You MUST have an ovensafe skillet. (Don’t worry about buying anything fancy, make sure everything is metal (handles, enforcements, etc.) and that there is no rubber. The one I have is Wolfgang Puck (a gift from mom and dad which they actually tried to take back this weekend, lol).
3-You can substitute smoked cheddar or smoked gouda for the extra-sharp cheddar.
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 onion, minced ( about 1 cup)
- 1 tea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tes minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 3 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits
- 6 oz extra sharp white cheddar, shredded (about 1 1/2 c)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (+ 1 to add for garnish just before serving)
- 1/4 tea pepper (again, I like the large pepper flakes for appearance)
- 1 1/2 pound extra large shrimp (21 to 25 ct)