This recipe will guarantee you substantial tasty dinner for sure! If you have guests they will be pleased!
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 lb flank steak, cut diagonally against the grain into thin slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 scallions, white and green parts
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets, sliced
- 1/2 cup lower–sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (I only had apple cider on hand and it was perfect!)
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons chili sauce with garlic (<–not optional!!!!)
- sesame seeds
- prepared Jasmine rice (which means cook the rice first)
- *I used safflower oil because I had it on hand (and literally already on the counter) for a cake but any other neutral tasting oil will suffice (i.e. canola or vegetable)
A couple of notes to ensure a superb outcome for this dish (and any beef dish for that matter):
1) Slice meat across the grain! With blade lined up across the grain pattern in meat, angle it at 45 degrees and begin to make your cuts.
2) When you begin to sear the meat, be sure not to overcrowd the pan. This means that each piece needs its own little dressing room. (Fit for a diva, of course. ) GIVE ME ROOM!!!!! Depending on your quantity needs, this may mean searing the meat in batches. Why is this so important you ask? Because it is the difference between flavorful, tender steak and unrecognizable boiled masses of meat in your mouth. It’s all about mouthfeel. So stay out of the way and let the pan and heat do its thing with the meat — caramelizing its sugars, giving it a tender crust and amplifying its flavors. (<– the makings of a great relationship if you asked me….but you didn’t so stay where you at, I guess….lol)
3) The longer flank steak cooks, the tougher it gets. So give it 1 ½ to 2 minutes on either side and THAT’S IT!
Please, please, please try this one! You won’t regret it.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium–high heat; add 2 tablespoons of oil, swirl to coat.
- Add veggies to pan and cook until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- While veggies are cooking, season steak pieces with salt and pepper.
- Once veggies are done, remove from pan and cover loosely.
- Return pan to stove. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to pan and swirl to coat.
- Once pan is near smoking hot, sear steak in batches (if necessary) for 2 minutes and flip.
- Continue cooking until steak is no longer pink (approx. 2 additional minutes).
- Remove to plate and cover loosely.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and chili garlic sauce to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Add beef and veggies to pan; toss well to coat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately over jasmine rice.