This is a very tasty and unforgettable dish! When berries are still available you should definitely try this recipe. Even if there are no, you can use frozen berries.
- Whey, 1 cup (of room temperature)
- Baking soda, teaspoon (not full)
- Salt, ½ teaspoon
- Flour, 2 cups
- Red or black–currant, 2 cups (or any other berries)
- Mix sieved flour with baking soda and salt. Then pour whey in small amounts. Do it gradually and mix the dough. It must be soft and workable. Cover it with some napkin or a dish–cloth and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile get the berries ready. Gently wash the currants for the juice not to come out.
- Now take the dough and roll it forming a tube. Cut it into pieces and form flats for the varenyky.
- Put the berries inside each flat and make varenyky as in the picture.
- The dish should be steamed. You may do it in many ways, beginning from ordinary pan and colander and ending with slow cooker. The average time of cooking is ten minutes.
- When varenyky are ready, put them onto the large plate, and sprinkle with some sugar. Let them cool a bit.
Enjoy your meal!