Tamarind chutney – a simple yet delicious condiment. Any Indian snacks, Chaat-pakoras (Fritters) couldn’t be enjoyed to their fullest without this. Its sweet and sour flavor is too good to resist. You could enjoy it with Samosas, Kachoris, Pakoras, Dahi Vada, papdi chaat, pani puri, bhel puri and list goes on.
- Tamarind – 2 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Plain salt – to taste
- Black salt – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 2 tsp
- Raisins – 10-15 (optional)
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of warm water for 1 hour.
- Mash tamarinds in water, and make it pass through a strainer. Try to take out as much pulp as possible.
- Take a pan, add sugar and tamarind pulp and cook them on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Now add the remaining ingredients and keep stirring on low heat till it thickens. Turn off heat.
- Once it has cooled down, refrigerate it in a glass container and use as desired.
-In place of sugar, you may also use 1 cup of jaggery
-It can be stored in a fridge for as long as 1 month.