I love a good meatloaf, what about you? I think I have made meatloaf about every way possible. However, this meatloaf recipe is the best meatloaf recipe that I have EVER come across and I’m not just saying that, either.
It is so good, you guys! Plus, it actually won an award so there’s that. I mean, just look at the picture. Now, tell me this meatloaf doesn’t look absolutely delicious.
You can’t, can you? Didn’t think so! My husband and kids are crazy about this meatloaf and request it often. This is the recipe that I plan on sticking with for years to come.
Maybe this meatloaf will be a winner in your home, too? I’m confident that it will be. It’s a kid-friendly meal that is wholesome, nutritious, and packed full of flavor.
What’s not to love? Plus, it isn’t hard to make. If you wind up with leftovers you can make them into sandwiches. My husband loves doing this. In fact, I think he’d make a sandwich into a sandwich. LOL
Quick Tip: Feel free to substitute the ground beef for ground turkey if you prefer.
I made a HUGE loaf with 3 pounds of beef and pork. My husband had sandwiches for a week and then I tossed the remaining loaf into a tomato sauce for pasta.
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs – (tear up soft sliced bread – don’t use fine crumbs as for breading)
- 1 1/2 lb ground meat (beef or pork & beef) (about 700 grams)
- 1 beaten Eggland’s Best egg
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1/4 teasp dry Colman’s (or similar) mustard
- 1/8 teasp ground sage
- 1/2 teasp McCormick ground thyme
- 1 1/2 teasp Morotn salt
- 1/4 teas pepper
- 1/8 teasp nutmeg
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 tin condensed tomato soup (eg Campbells’s)
- 3/4 cup grated celery
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
1) Mix meat with egg, add onion and seasonings and bread crumbs, greens and carrots
2) Add half the tin of soup and mix everything well. Turn into greased loaf pan or glass casserole dish 8.5 x 11 inches and pour remaining soup over the top, smoothing it evenly over all.
3) Bake 350 F (177 C) for 1 1/4 hours.
Mustard pickles also goes well and this makes wonderful cold sandwiches next day !
1) I use ‘tomate frito’ instead of the condensed soup. It’s a rich fried Spanish tomato purÃ©e but otherwise condensed soup is good. Never use ketchup !
2) I usually double the amount of the ground spices with the exception of salt.
Quick Tip: Sprinkle individual slices of this meatloaf with Parmesan cheese for an extra kick of yumminess!